Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cousin Samantha




Samantha Henneke born September 26, 1970 in Tallahassee, Fla.

From an interview on the blog, The Mudbucket, on when Samantha caught the pottery "bug":
Yes I remember very clearly. When I went to Virginia Tech I was trying to find what I was interested in doing for my “career” in life. My folks always said every semester take a class that I really enjoyed. I signed up for an art class every semester and figured I might as well get a minor in art. I needed another semester's credit and went to the sculpture class. Apparently it was full, but I was told to check out the pottery class next door. To tell you the truth I was not that enthused about taking a pottery class, but there was room and I needed the art credit. Funny to think that this pottery art class would end up being my “soul” focus in life.

Samantha transferred from Virginia Tech to the NY State College of Ceramics at Alfred University where she met her partner, Bruce Gohlson and completed her BFA in 1995.
In 1997 Samantha and Bruce moved to Seagrove, NC to set up their Bulldog Pottery.




Again from the Mudbucket interviews,

I really like to work on my glaze paintings. I focus my compositions on the insect, and recently I have started to add a bit more fantasy narrative and figurative imagery into the work. Soon we will set up a painting studio and I plan to work out more ideas on paper.

For the complete (Mud)Bucket interview click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment